My Blog List

Wednesday 24 August 2016

What is Laurella Willis apologizing for?

Laurella Willis has been busy parading about the South Side of Chicago carrying a sign that says"Black America,I'm Sorry." I'm a bit unsure as to what it is she is sorry for.The video of her strolling about is a bit vague on that matter.It says she's apologizing for everything going on in America Today." And while I cannot deny that America seems to be living out an ongoing tragedy in terms of race relations,I'm not certain that Laurella Willis,or anyone else should be apologizing for everything and anything.I do salute her initiative,I do believe it's intended to add something positive to all that's going on today but not everything demands an apology from everyone.

America has a tragic history with race relations from African slavery to Jim Crow.to the attempted genocide of Native Americans.It continues today with the numbers of African American men being incarcerated,or even killed before due process is allowed to follow it's intended course.And for that we should all be profoundly sorry.So it's hard not to get behind Laurella Willis when she steps up.So far she's been walking about twenty miles everyday.The video does show mostly positive reactions from the black people she meets,though one does ask her what she's sorry for.

I'm wondering,specifically if Laurella Willis is apologizing for being white,and ,if so  is she doing so for white people collectively.If so,I must say she does not speak for me.Let me just say,I am not ashamed of being white.I have not owned slaves,nor has my family going back in history.I have and always will support human and civil rights.I will regard any and all people without respect to their racial background.And if I am not doing so,I am receptive to having this pointed out to me because we all hold sub-conscious attitudes that are usually less than flattering.So in short.I will not apologize for being white,nor do I accept anyone else doing so on my behalf,or anyone's contention that I should provide such an apology.Now,I should note that I have,in the past,when I was possessed of much less maturity than I am now,done and said things which were not altogether right,in terms of race relations.I have,for instance,used the N word,and for that I should be,and am sorry.But this idea that we need to apologize for past wrongs committed by  generations long gone is stopping anyone from moving forward.

Behavior is what may demand apology.But ones existence does not.But then again behavior may be changed with the diligent efforts of all people,without regard to race,or any other aspect of an individual's or community's existence. So,develop a good value system in relating to others.It's called respect.It needs to be accorded to all people without exception.Apologize when it's called for,but not when it is not.Apologize for unacceptable behavior,then get on with life.It's called repentance.And we all have a ton of things to repent of.

I wonder how black people feel when they encounter Laurella Willis.I don't really know and I don't want to attribute any one sort of thought to all.I would think that there would be a wide range of different reactions,and indeed,that is viable when you see Laurella's video.But I can make note of how I would regard someone doing something similar to me.And again,I'm not black.But were a black person apologizing to me in such a general way for,say high crime rates or the fact that certain communities are not safe,I would have two distinct reactions.First,I would tent to be embarrassed that some well meaning person might think that such an apology was necessary or even demanded.And,to a somewhat lesser degree,I would feel that it was just possible that I was being patronized.Neither reaction is especially helpful in moving forward with the hard work of improving race relations today.

What is needed today cannot be accomplished by means of general,non specific and uncertain apologies.There is a certain counterproductive political correctness to Ms.Willis actions,and that is limiting debate on a great many painful things that must be discussed if we are to leave our children with a better state of race relations than we now have.We need to ask hard questions like how do we combat gang violence,how do we insure better outcomes between black people and police,and why do we see such high rates of incarceration among young black males.We need to take on open expressions of racism too,wherever we find them,be they from the man in the street or our would be leaders.First we need to agree among ourselves that we are going to commit to these discussions with honesty and with respect to those who are not like us and who have very different experiences than we do.Then we need to get on with life and believe that we can make that life better,unapologeticly.

                                                                                blyndpapaya

No comments:

Post a Comment