My Blog List

Saturday 16 July 2016

Why non-Americans should be concerned with American politics.

With the Republican Convention coming up next week in Cleveland,you can expect a number of political rants in this blog over the next few days.Often I'm asked,and sometimes not too nicely to refrain from making commentary on American political issues.I'm certain I've lost a friend or two on social media over this incorrigible tendency of mine,but that's alright.And I've pulled the plug on one or two as well,not over a difference of opinion,but over the expression of extreme profanity,or lack of respect for others of different racial,religious,national or cultural backgrounds.Or,for just plain low or non-existent quality of debate.

Here's the deal.There are those out there that seem to feel that as a Canadian,I should not be involved in debate of the 2016 American election.It's the sole business of Americans.Well,that's true in that only Americans get to vote. And that is as it should be.But I would argue that anyone interested in living in a relatively free and decent world has a vested interest in being fully involved in the debate.Because,as goes America,so goes the world.

Ask yourself how America views itself.As the only true super power?As the worlds policeman? As something entirely unique in the history of the  world?

You see,I have a hard time buying into this idea of American Exceptionalism,especially in recent times.But that really is a subject for another blog entry.The point I was trying to make is that America casts a long shadow.So how is it reasonable to expect to be insulated from worldwide public opinion.You see,I,to some extent have to live in that long shadow.

American will seems to be all important to American politicians.Americans seem have such a high opinion of Democracy,for instance,that they often insist on it's institution worldwide,completely forgetting that Democracy is essentially a Western ideal with very little history of success east of the Mediterranean.Yet it hasn't stopped America from trying to force it's will upon other nation states.But,how many stable democracies exist in those nations today? And how many more people hate America today than they did just a few years ago? Did America have any role in the creation of those who today hold it to be an enemy? The reason I will not refrain from political comment is that in my eyes the world seems to be descending to a more perilous state,at a time when the seems to be a lack of adequate,ethical leadership in the big policeman to the south.It's terrifying at times.

Over the next few days there are a few issues that I want to touch on.Political Ecology.Dissent.Liberalism.And partisanship,perhaps the biggest problem in contemporary American politics.There may be others as well.

But let me start with the issue of dissent,because it plays right into that idea that only Americans should comment on American political issues.I'll deal with this issue in more detail later.Today I just wanted to note that there is a current of thought that says Canadians,Europeans,Asians,and certainly those in the nations most affected by American political/military ambitions have no say in what goes on in  America.Well,I say simply that these ideas are good for one thing:making the grass grow greener than it would otherwise.So count me as a dissenter,more or less believing in dissent for it's own sake.You see,I really do love America.So far I've found it relatively easy to respect America.Given the choice,there are few nations I would choose to live in such close proximity to.But part of loving America means holding it to a high standard.I want that huge policeman,that only remaining superpower that casts it's shadow over me,and everyone else on the planet to be all that it can and should be.And that means holding it to a high standard of accountability no matter where I live on earth.So,if American Democracy is the ideal,Americans will have to live with my dissent.

                                                                             blyndpapaya

No comments:

Post a Comment